Cream of Spinach Soup
Potage a la creme d’epinards;Louisiana Creole Fast-day Soap
You will need:
- half a peck| four pints of spinach
- 2 ounces of fresh butter (regular store/market brought butter or vegan substitute is fine) & a tablespoonful
- 2 quarts Consomme or bouillon
- 1 teaspoonful of salt
- 1 teaspoonful of granulated sugar
- 1/4 grated nutmeg
- croutons (Traditionally eaten hot over croutons; if children; pregnant; or ill are eating this fast day soup. Persons in this category are not obligated to fast.)
Completely Wash the spinach and render the vegetable free of any of bugs and dirt. After a thorough washing of the spinach, boil the spinach. When cooked, pound or mash the soft spinach into a paste. Along with 4 ounces of butter (or Vegan substitute), place spinach in a stew pot then add grated nutmeg and salt. Constantly stir the spinach and it should cook for ten minutes. Place 2 quarts of consomme or bouillon into the stewing spinach. Allow the stewed spinach to boil up. When achieved, take the stewing spinach of the fire and press against a strainer. (This part can be omitted; a drink is desired) Place the stewing spinach back on the fire, when the spinach reaches boiling point add to it a tablespoon of butter (or Vegan Substitute) and teaspoonful of granulated sugar. For more of a broth to drink soup, simply melt butter or vegan substitute in a melting pot over the fire and add it to the mixture with the water. Turn and if needed for a more creamy consistency add a little bit of flour while mixture is still on the fire. Make sure at this point the fire is on medium to medium low. Check for desired consistency of creamy texture to add more flour or not.
May Mar Yah Bless you and Keep you on the Blessed Fast Day.